INTRODUCTION TO THE BOOK OF JUDGES - BOOK OF JUDGES LESSon #1
Date of Sermon: May 5, 2014
Main Idea: God is the only true judge
Key Verse: "After the death of Joshua, the people of Israel inquired of Yahweh, Who shall go up first for us against the Canaanites, to fight against them?" Joshua 1:1
Bible Reading: 1 After the death of Joshua, the people of Israel inquired of the Lord, “Who shall go up first for us against the Canaanites, to fight against them?” 2 The Lord said, “Judah shall go up; behold, I have given the land into his hand.” 3 And Judah said to Simeon his brother, “Come up with me into the territory allotted to me, that we may fight against the Canaanites. And I likewise will go with you into the territory allotted to you.” So Simeon went with him. 4 Then Judah went up and the Lord gave the Canaanites and the Perizzites into their hand, and they defeated 10,000 of them at Bezek. 5 They found Adoni-bezek at Bezek and fought against him and defeated the Canaanites and the Perizzites. 6 Adoni-bezek fled, but they pursued him and caught him and cut off his thumbs and his big toes. 7 And Adoni-bezek said, “Seventy kings with their thumbs and their big toes cut off used to pick up scraps under my table. As I have done, so God has repaid me.” And they brought him to Jerusalem, and he died there.
1. God relentlessly offers grace to those who do not deserve it seek it, or even appreciate it.
2. God wants to be Lord over every area of our life.
3. There is a tension between law and grace.
4. There is a need for continual spiritual renewal in our lives.
5. We need a true Savior, to which all human savior point, through both their flaws and their strengths.
6. God is in charge, no matter what.